Re: [Shop-talk] Replacing a breaker?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Replacing a breaker?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 14:37:53 -0400
At 01:49 PM 4/7/2011, Wayne wrote:

No one has mentioned throwing the mains.  You can thow the main, and
try to reset the suspect breaker.

Having said that, let me remind you that with the main tripped there
still IS  220V
in the box.

For testing the wiring/replacing the suspect breaker tripping the
main should be sufficient.  However, again, remember there still is
power in the breaker panel.

If you really want to make sure every thing is dead, you will have to
pull the meter.  The isn't really supposed to be done by the home
owner, and there is
a metal safety tag that is cliped to the meter/box and has a plastic tab so it
can't be opened.  I've done this in the past, simply cut the clip
near the plastic tab.  Remove the meter, when you're done, put the
meter back and tuck the wire
back in place.

John

Va. Beach, Va