Re: [Shop-talk] Rivets won't pop

To: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Rivets won't pop
From: Darrell Walker <darrellw@ipns.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 11:41:17 -0800
I don't know if this is proper procedure, but I usually snug them up with
several squeezes (moving the tool down each time), rather than doing them in
all one shot.

-Darrell

On Jan 14, 2011, at 11:10 AM, David Hillman wrote:

>   I spent a good chunk of last Friday and Saturday thrashing to get my
racecar ready to go ice-racing last Sunday.  I made it, and we ran all six
races, but torn it up a bit in the process.  Looks like I'm going to repeat
that process tonight and tomorrow.

>   A lot of the thrashing resulted from rivets that wouldn't pop.  I have a
standard Arrow rivet gun... (
http://www.amazon.com/Arrow-RH200-Fastener-Riveter/dp/B00004Z2JG ) and used a
lot of different sizes, both steel and aluminum, but I had the same problem
with most of them.  The mandrel would break, but the blind end wouldn't expand
enough to become larger than the hole.

>   At first, I thought they were just too cold, as I was working in my
unheated ~30* garage.  I took all the rivets inside overnight, but had the
same problem in the morning.

>   I have never had this happen before.  I used a wide-enough variety of
rivets that I don't believe all of them could be defective.  I don't
understand how a problem with the gun could cause this issue.  That only
leaves operator error, which is possible, but how hard is it to squeeze the
handle on a rivet gun?  I've riveted some of these same parts together
before.