[Shop-talk] A quick comparison of cordless tools

To: "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] A quick comparison of cordless tools
From: BJNoSHOV8 <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 16:24:01 -0600
When Home Depot was selling off some of their cordless sets last year I
bought a set by Ridgid that includes drill, impact driver,
recriprocating saw, flashlight and 2 18V Lion batteries.  I haven't had
much occasion to use them until recently.  Friday I bought a 2x4 at
HomeDepot for a little project, and actually needed it in 2 pieces so I
took the cordless saw with me thinking I could cut off the one piece and
then the remainder would fit in my car easier.  I noticed that after
cutting about 1/2" through the board the saw stopped.  It would restart
but only about 1/8" before stopping again.  I did this for awhile until
I got all the way through the board- cut, stop, cut, stop, ....  I
thought maybe something was wrong with the saw.  Today I was assembling
things and had to put in some long 1/4" lag bolts, so I thought I would
use the impact driver.  It basically worked the same way- start, stop,
start, stop.  I did quite a bit with the drill and it worked fine until
I decided I would screw in the long lag bolts with it instead.  It
eventually got to the same point- drill, stop, drill, stop, etc.  Now
I'm beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with the batteries.
I know that Lithium batteries have builtin circuitry to keep them from
over-charging or over-discharging.  I wonder if this protection circuit
is limiting the current that the batteries put out to keep them from
overheating.

As a test I pulled out my old DeWalt 14.4V NiCad drill.  It would
actually out-torque the 18V Lithium drill on these long lag bolts.

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums