Re: [Shop-talk] digital caliper vs. dial caliper?

To: BJNoSHOV8 <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] digital caliper vs. dial caliper?
From: "David C." <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 22:31:40 -0700
I have a number of cheap digital calipers.  Probably half of them are
from H.F.  They are so cheap I have one on the main work bench, one or
two with the lathe/mill, one on the reloading bench, etc.  I haven't had
any trouble with ANY of them, and if they were to crap out I'm only out
nine bucks or so.  I just keep a few extra batteries around.  On the
other hand, I have had a couple of relatively expense dial calipers die
after one fall to the floor.  They are also hard to zero and are
susceptible to getting dirt debris in the rack.