Re: [Shop-talk] Natural gas fireplace

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Natural gas fireplace
From: <shop-talk2@mcfetridge.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 10:08:17 -0400
Randall wrote:
>anything that would keep the chimney from 'drawing' properly.

I'll second that.  We have a direct vent nat.gas fireplace that has small
flapper vent on the north wall of our house about 3 feet above grade.  When
we bought the house the flap on the vent was jammed by a bush next to it and
was not drawing properly.  I trimmed back the bush and then had problems on
windy days where the North wind would pressurize the vent and noticeably
blow the flame in the fireplace.  While that looked nice (like a camp fire),
I was worried that the fumes were blowing into the house.  I put up a sheet
metal shield around the vent and haven't had a problem (or it hasn't been as
windy [shrug])

My ideal fireplace would be:  a completely sealed gas unit with a heat
exchanger fan.  Perhaps, one day we'll live somewhere long enough to make it
worthwhile!

- Ian
Moving again...

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums