[Shop-talk] Wiring a string of LED lights

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Wiring a string of LED lights
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 11:08:07 -0400
  I'd like to use a string of LED lights I found at a box store as a
closet light.  Basically, I've run the string around the inside of the
door so when you open the door a plunger switch turns on the lights.
With the overhead light you could just see the top shelf, with the sting
of lights, you'll at least be able to see (the front of, at least) all
the shelves.

I'm fine with all of if except the light string is wired with a 120v
plug and has a fuse integral to it.  I know I could just wire in an
outlet and box, but that seems cludgy and, well...just too easy.

So I was going to snip the cord, see if I could disassemble the plug and
then wire the fuse inline.

And then it occurred to me that those are probably either not LEDs like
I thought (I'm pretty sure they are), or they might not be 120v LEDs and
that plug might have more than just a fuse in it.

That's the point at which I decided to ask here.

Any advice?  These are the 'lights in a vinyl rope' jobby.  It's got a
cap at the end that allows you to connect additional strings, I think.
Came from Lowe's or Home Depot and you can get them in various colors.

Thanks.

Scott

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums