[Shop-talk] Exploding storm door

To: "Healey list" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Exploding storm door
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 20:22:23 -0700
The upper half of my storm door has exploded...twice.

It's a conventional storm door, upper and lower window.  The upper is
fixed, the lower can raise or lower for ventilation (screen behind it.)
Twice now the upper pane has just exploded.  It's tempered glass so it
makes a million little pieces that I have to vacuum up out of the cracks
between the deck boards.  The first time it (apparently) happened when
we weren't around because my wife just noticed the door broken.  Today
when she opened the main door it exploded inward, apparently from the
suction of opening the main door.  All I can think of is thermal cycling
is weakening the door or it's expanding into the frame which may be
keeping it from expanding freely or something.  (The door faces due east
and the front door behind it is white.)  Oddly enough it was pretty
cool, in the low 70s and cloudy all morning.

It seems like if this was a common problem I would have heard of it
before.  I'm thinking of replacing it with polycarbonate this time.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Dave

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums