[Shop-talk] more on tolerancing a interference or friction fit ???``

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>, "shop-talk"
Subject: [Shop-talk] more on tolerancing a interference or friction fit ???``
From: "John Niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 20:41:32 -0500
some details I didn't include

the control arms are powder coated and I don't want to destroy that
finish... so no oven or heating...

I've already started the chucking/filing on one and think this is the best
solution....

I tried cooling the bushing for a few days but this made the rubber hard and
brittle and it chipped off at the edges...

once I get the outer sleeve down to 5 thousands or so... I'm going to use a
brake hone and relieve the bore of the control arm a few to kinda split the
difference on the removal of material...

I think I've got some mismade parts  or poorly toleranced parts for the
application although my vendor swears it's the same bushings they've always
used and he has no problem or complaints from them..  I'll keep working till
I get it... hard headed... but I just wasn't sure how close I needed to
get...

I'm shooting for .002 or so and go from there.... don't you just love custom
car projects... the fun just never ends...

thanks for all the input and advise... forge on !!!!

john