[Shop-talk] tolerancing a interference or friction fit ???``

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] tolerancing a interference or friction fit ???``
From: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 10:13:18 -0500
I'm still trying to press in some steel sleeved bushings into tubular control
arms for a front suspension I'm doing on my old truck.  Having a devil of a
time.  I'm about to think that the bushings are just too large.   Tried a 6
ton press and it just stalled...  had some luck with a bolt/nut/impact but it
easily destroys the bushing rubbers if it's not perfect...

the control arm bore is mic'ing 1.250 +/- .002   the bushings are anywhere
from 1.260 to 1.268.  No two measure the same.  It's a steel sleeve with
rubber core over a inner steel sleeve that the suspension bolt slides
through.

I'm wondering what a 'friction' fit tolerance should be ??? I'm no millwright
or machinist and  I know the application/metal type/use makes a difference but
are there some general guidelines that would apply...  everything I find on
the net is in engineerspeak and symbols and alchemy/sorcery stuff...

what would be considered an exceptable friction fit for suspension bushings...
.001 to . 003  ??  .015 >??  I haven't got a clue..  help me oh gurus of the
metal melding !!!!!

I've already had to cut out two bushings that hung up on me... there has got
to be a better way... I'm just not smart enough to know it.. and yes
everything is slippery as owl snot before I start trying to press them in...

tia
John

It is not only what we do, but also what we do not do, for which we are
accountable.
   Jean Baptiste Moliere

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums