Re: [Shop-talk] drive wheel speed ???

To: "Mullen, Tim (IS)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] drive wheel speed ???
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 17:58:04 -0400
On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Mullen, Tim (IS) <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com> wrote:

> john niolon wrote:
> >
> > I've got an old big wheel mower that uses chain driven drive wheels
> > against the big wheels to propel the mower...
> > <...>
> > the rear wheel is 20" , the drive wheels are constant speed... which
> > will drive the big wheel faster ?  a smaller diameter drive wheel or
> > a larger one.
>
> If I understand, your mower has a chain driven wheel that turns a larger
> wheel that moves the mower along the ground.
>
> If that's the case, a larger chain driven wheel will make it go faster.
>
> The chain driven wheel is rotating at a constant speed, so it cover a
> larger "distance" if it is bigger around, which in turn will cause the
> regular wheel to cover a larger distance.
>
> Of course, it will have less "power" to move the mower along if it's
> geared higher to go faster...

I've never seen a mower set up like this.  Seems a bit rube goldbergie.
the other way you may be able to make it go faster is to change the
sprockets on the chain drive.  IF you make the engine driven one bigger, it
will make the wheel driving sprocket turn faster (higher rpms).
 Alternatively, put a smaller rear sprocket on.  Or do a combination of the
two.  You'll probably nee a different length of chain.
--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums