Re: [Shop-talk] getting rid of rabbits?

To: Tim <tputland@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] getting rid of rabbits?
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 10:33:45 -0700
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 04:57:26AM -0700, Tim wrote:
> While we still had snow on the ground this winter, I noticed that the rabbits
>were eating on a row of 3 to 4 ft tall arbor vitae in my front yard.
>
> Is there a way to keep rabbits out of my yard? Next year I will most likely
>put up a chicken wire fennce of some sort, but I would like to keep the damn
>things out of my yard, period.

A dog, or a really tough agressive cat, will keep them down but
not completely out.  Our indoor/outdoor cat was eating a fair number
of bunnies for a while- that's her favorite food- but even in her prime
she could only get the smaller ones.

Barring that, fencing is the only way.  Chicken wire 2' high and really
well down to the ground works.  We had to rabbit proof our garden with
chicken wire along the bottom of the deer fence. Even
the cat couldn't keep them completly out.  Which isn't suprising- they do fine
even with a large number of bobcats and coyotes around.

I suppose that trapping and relocating them would work, but it
wouldn't get all of them, and it would take up time
that could go to fencing.

Eric

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums