Re: [Shop-talk] Air solenoid valve

To: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Air solenoid valve
From: Vin Marshall <vlm@te-motorworks.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 07:48:04 -0500
The large solenoid valves with high flow rates are out there, but in my
experience, not at all cheap.

If you're feeling adventurous, you could add external actuation to a manual
ball or butterfly valve, as I did here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vinmarshall/4159343952/in/set-72157622881925572/

If you're going to go that route, either pneumatic actuation or some kind of
electromechanical actuation would work.  It seems like you might want
something that actually latches in either position though, as I'm fairly
certain that a cheap solenoid valve like I used here is not going to react
well to being energized  for 8 hours at a stretch.

This was also used for a spud gun, by the way.

-vin

On Mar 2, 2010, at 2:06 AM, David C. wrote:

> I am thinking of putting an air solenoid valve in my compressor tank outlet.
I already have a manual valve I open when I go out to the shop, and (usually)
close when I leave.  I valve the tank off because various QD fittings on the
piping leak a little bit and the compressor will cycle every couple of hours
if I don't valve off the outlet. Occasionally I forget to close the valve and
then after a couple of days I will be reminded by either hearing the
compressor or, more often, by the quick flicker of the lights when the
compressor starts.

> I thought if I put a 110 volt solenoid in the outlet, I could put a spring
wound line voltage timer in the circuit and whenever I go out in the shop, I
would give the timer a twist which would open the valve for the timer
duration.  I think I can get one that is good for eight hours.

> Anyone got a source for a reasonably priced 1/2" or 3/4" NPT 110 volt
solenoid valve?  MCC was not much help.