[Shop-talk] Hanging a Cuckoo clock

To: "Shop-Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Hanging a Cuckoo clock
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 13:27:05 -0800
Hey all,

Wife has a big antique cuckoo clock that she would like hung "right there"
on the drywall.  This thing must weigh 30 pounds, plus every day someone has
to pull on the chains to wind it up and of course we also live in an
earthquake zone.  She would really hate for it to come crashing down (it's
supposedly over 100 years old and has some really fragile gingerbread, stag
horns, etc.).

If I had my druthers, I'd put a screw into a stud, but alas there is no stud
where she wants the clock.

I'm thinking to put a "molly" type anchor in the wall, and let it's bolt
protrude to form a hook (the back wall of the clock is about 3/8" thick),
but thought I would ask if anyone has a better suggestion.

TIA
-- Randall