[Shop-talk] How bad is Sprint wireless service

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] How bad is Sprint wireless service
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 12:53:33 -0600
How bad is Sprint currently ?

We've had Verizon wireless for years - since they bought out Ameritech
Cellular, which we had for years before that.  4 phones on a family plan,
CHicago area, very limited travel, mostly east of the Mississippi.  Our calls
are clear (other than the limitations of some phones) - no concerns at all
about that.  Maybe one or two times a year I get a bad connection, and I don't
remember a dropped connection to a land line for many years.  Anywhere we
travel, it's just fine, and has been so for years.

Over that time lots of friends and relatives have had AT&T and Sprint, and
their service, connections, clarity,. etc. were never anywhere near as good as
ours, so we've continued with Verizon.  Several people we talk with often had
Sprint, and when we talked to any of them we nearly always a bad connection,
dropped call, etc.  All of them switched to Verizon a few years ago and are
happy.

Now, however, we'd all like smart phones and Verizon, like AT&T and Sprint,
requires a data plan for smart phones.  With Verizon or AT&T, the unlimited
data plan is $30 plus tax.  After tax, I'm looking at nearly doubling the $170
per month I now pay.  With Sprint, I can add unlimited data plans to all 4
phones for about $10 per month per phone, including tax.  $120 less.  Verizon
can't / won't compete, saying that their network is that much better, speeds
higher, etc.

So - any current Sprint users with a smart phone, using e-mail etc., who can
tell me about their service, speed, coverage, etc. ??

Thanks !
Karl

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered
 by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly
 promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
 which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
 possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."