Re: [Shop-talk] Mythbusters sucks! [rant]

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mythbusters sucks! [rant]
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pj_thomas@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 16:31:35 -0500
On 1/27/2010 4:07 PM, Randall wrote:
>> Wonder if that's purposely
>> designed in ?  Might be to direct a potential explosion,
>>
> Makes sense to me.  And why else would the bottom be concave on an electric
> heater?  Normally pressure vessels are convex, to distribute the forces
> better.
>
> -- Randall

Concaved also distributes forces, outward toward the rim.  If the bottom
were flat, pressures would deform it to convexed and the bottom would
pull away from the rim.  With a concaved bottom, pressures would deform
it towards flat and push the rim outwards into the side walls.  And it
will stand.

Peter T.