Re: [Shop-talk] Scotch-locks and T-Taps

To: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Scotch-locks and T-Taps
From: Donald H Locker <dhlocker@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 19:41:07 +0000 (UTC)
T-Tap (a Scotchlok product by 3M) is an insulation displacement connector on
one wire only.  The other connection to the circuit is by a male spade terminal
plugged into the stem of the Tee.
<http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7_nid=GS3MTHGQSCbeVB2NDGZBTHgl>
 shows the T-Tap.  It doesn't show how the male spade plugs in, but it would go
into the flag sticking away from the wire in the picture.  The traditional
Scotchlok breaks the insulation on two parallel wires and connects them
together.

Personally, I'd try to go with stripping and crimping wherever possible.
Soldering will put a stress riser at the joint - wire strands will break where
they leave the solder (where they get bent sharply).  The crimps support the
strands through the transition from constrained to free much better.

Does that help?
Donald.