Re: [Shop-talk] Wheel Balancer

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Wheel Balancer
From: "Nolan" <opposumking@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 08:06:04 -0500
I've got a bubble balancer.  They work.  A lot touchier than you'd expect
for trying to get that optimal static balance.  The truck wheels are the
most obnoxious to do.  Little car wheels are a lot easier.  I've never
gotten the wheels as smoothly balanced with the bubble balancer as I can
with a dynamic (spinning) balancer.

Does require me to have a bunch of lead weights around.  You can scrounge a
goodly number of used ones from the parking lot of a tire store,
particularly when they are closed and not inclined to hassle you for
scrounging their parking lot for trash.

A bubble balancer does not address dynamic imbalance.  As in cockeyed weight
balance problems.  So you tend to just guess and instead of placing a big
weight on one side of the rim you'll split the difference and place half on
each side of the rim.  Crossing your fingers may help.

Walmart offers lifetime balancing of tires for $7.50, and there's one nearby
me.  My bubble balancer mostly gathers dust these days.