Re: [Shop-talk] battery chargers

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] battery chargers
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 13:06:50 -0800
> We seem to go through quite a few battery chargers and have
> 4-5 ones that no
> longer work.  Most are the manual kind i.e. set the timer
> then the amps.  My
> question is ...is anyone familar with a way to fix them ??

They are usually very simple inside, so open it up and make a few tests.  If
the transformer is gone, it's probably not worth replacing.  But if it's
just a diode, or circuit breaker, they are fairly easy and cheap to replace.

I've been using an old Schumacher 2/10/50 model for many years now that was
given to me in "quit working" condition.  All it needed were some diodes,
which I salvaged from a scrap alternator.

Randall