Re: [Shop-talk] conductive rubber

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] conductive rubber
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pj_thomas@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 23:03:23 -0400
eric@megageek.com wrote:
> OK, so I have a remote control that gets used alot.  The main buttons
> aren't registering any more.
>
> Is there a way to "clean" or "resurface" the button's conductive rubber
> back side?

I clean remotes and other keypads with just a dry paper towel and a
little knuckle grease.  Unless it was immersed in something sticky, this
is enough.  Also, I've found the contacts, not the pads, are what need
cleaning; they oxidize.  A paper towel is rough enough clean them. If
its really bad, use a pencil eraser followed with the paper towel.
Pencil erasers have some mind grid embedded in them.  Electrical
engineers use an eraser to clean non-gold plated contacts, the eraser
will completely remove the gold and even copper plating.
> What would happen if I just put a piece of metal there?

Don't know, just guessing, but you might get bounces (multiple button hits).

Peter Thomas