Re: [Shop-talk] Tirerack

To: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tirerack
From: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 11:39:14 -0500
David,

Thanks for the information. It is just what I figured. One other related
question is with warranty replacements. Has anyone had any problems
getting defective tires replaced?

I've been using Discount Tire for many years. They are more expensive
that Tirerack, but they are almost everywhere and I've had good luck
with their replacement policies.

A couple months ago I needed a set of Yokohama tires for my Honda CR-V.
Tire rack had them for $109, plus shipping. Discount wanted $129 plus
shipping (they were not a stocked size). I went with Discount because of
the warranty, but for the $80 it might have been better to go with Tirerack.

One thing I found is that with new vehicles with TPS, the tire mounting
will require the replacement of the seals on the stem. This runs $10-$20
per tire. After tax, seals, mounting, balancing, road hazard
replacement, out the door the $520 worth of tires cost $700! This was a
bit more than I had expected. It seems that Discount Tire has started
charging for things they used to throw in at no charge. Next time I need
tires I will look closer at Tirerack!

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake David Hillman, On 8/3/2009 11:06 AM: