Re: [Shop-talk] Yet Another Wiring Question

To: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Yet Another Wiring Question
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:08:57 -0400
On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Doug Braun<doug@dougbraun.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm planning to add a pair of circuits to my home's circuit breaker panel
for a whole-house surge suppressor, an Insteon phase coupler, and an outlet,
all right next to the box in the little closet where it is located. B Since
the surge suppressor and phase coupler work with both phases, I am using two
independent 15-amp breakers.

> My question is about the outlet: B I can take a standard duplex outlet and
break the little tab connecting the hot sides, thus turning it into two
independent outlets. B I want to do this, and feed one phase to the upper
outlet, and the other phase to the lower outlet, with each on a separate
breaker.

> Is this allowed according to the NEC? B Is it a good idea? B Would it be
more legal, or wiser, to use a duplex breaker so both outlets are always
switched together?

It would be wiser to use a double pole breaker, or a handle tie.
There is a lot of variation on what's required for split duplex
outlets: both the 2005 and 2008 NEC made changes to requirements (2008
does required tied breakers.  2005 changed where it's allowed or not,
as I recall.), and as there's a lag between the NEC updates and local
code updates (as well as variation in what parts are adopted), you're
local codes will vary.

And, despite what insteon calls it, you've only got one phase in your
home wiring.  What you have is single phase center tapped.  Both hots
are on the same phase.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com