Re: [Shop-talk] Mailbox to end all mailboxes

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mailbox to end all mailboxes
From: Donald H Locker <dhlocker@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:51:42 +0000 (UTC)
Sorry, Eric, but IE is not "the industry standard," just a common browser.

HTML-4 is the standard, promulgated and controlled by the w3c.
<http://www.w3.org/> and especially <http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/>  IE is an
implementation of a user interface for the sites serving information using the
HTML language - a user interface which includes many non-standard extensions
and neglects certain portions of the standard.  Microsoft has made an effort to
get some of their extensions adopted by the standards body, but most of their
proposed changes are very narrow in focus and usually address situations
already addressed by the standard, just not like MS would have wanted it.

Many people using a product doesn't make it a standard.  Many people use their
right hand in preference to their left.  Doesn't make it a standard.

Please reply off-list.  I'll summarise for anyone interested.
Donald.