Re: [Shop-talk] Basic MIG Welding questions

To: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Basic MIG Welding questions
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 10:04:03 -0800 (PST)
The gas is not flammable, so a small leak is pretty much irrelevant, unless you
leave everything turned on for hours at a time.

On mine, I never purge after closing the main valve.  Why bother?  The pressure
is only a few pounds.

One thing I do before welding is unclamp the wire feed and press the trigger
for a few seconds, to make sure that the main hose gets all the air purged from
it.  You can double check that you are getting gas by sniffing the nozzle:  The
CO2 should make it smell like soda water.

Doug