Re: [Shop-talk] Painting a steel gate

To: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Painting a steel gate
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 07:57:30 -0800 (PST)
Another good metal paint is Hammerite, which you can get in gloss and
semi-gloss as well as "hammered" finish.

One thing you might consider is enamel hardener.  This is a catalyst that you
add to alkyd enamel to make it harden faster and better.  Tractor Supply
stores sell it as part of their Valspar tractor paint line, but the can says
it will work with any alkyd enamel.

An aside on metal enamels:  Most types (e.g. Rust-oleum) can be thinned and
cleaned up with mineral spirits, but other brands (like Zero-Rust and
Hammerite) will not dissolve in mineral spirits at all, and must be thinned
with xylene.  Anyone know why?

Doug