[Shop-talk] Kitchen stuff

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Kitchen stuff
From: "Mark Miller" <markmiller@threeboysfarm.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 21:36:21 -0800
Others wrote:

> Sub Zero, Viking, Wolf, Thermador, etc. are supposed to be the

> Snap-Ons of the cooking industry.  Are they really that much better

> than the other brands out there and are they deserving of the

> not-insignificant extra amount of money they cost?

>A real commercial range, which costs less than your moderately fancy one
from maytag, will not having any problem having the oven door >used as a
step stool.

A chef friend said that when he shopped for his restaurant the salesman
opened the door of a Montague stove and jumped up and down on it.  Sold!

>My folks also have a range hood with fan that will suck up small animals

>on high with variable control, real nice.  The hood has sharp corners

>right at head height for me, not so nice.

Look for a Vent-a-Hood fan assembly.  They have 1" 45 degree chamfers on the
corners, so no creasing your forehead when you bump them.

We have a Thermador stove.  It is fantastic.  The burners throw an amazing
amount of heat, even set for propane.  In our last house we put in a Wolf.
Not well made - one of the igniters went out and it was a fortune for a
replacement, but the guy at the parts store was helpful: found another brand
part that fit (just had to splice in longer leads).

A second for the two dishwasher recommendation.  I'd actually rather have 5
or 6 dishwashers and no dish storage.  You run them when full and never have
to put dishes away.  But my wife wouldn't go for it.

Mark Miller