Re: [Shop-talk] Sub Zero (Was- Freon Leak detectors)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Sub Zero (Was- Freon Leak detectors)
From: Matt Wehland <mattw@webtripper.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 13:19:06 -0500
Eugene D Abbondelo wrote:
> Fridges that don't make ice; stoves that cook unevenly--brings up the
>question:
>
> Sub Zero, Viking, Wolf, Thermador, etc. are supposed to be the Snap-Ons of
>the cooking industry.  Are they really that much better than the other brands
>out there and are they deserving of the not-insignificant extra amount of
>money they cost?
>
> Gene (kitchen due for remodelling--wife wants bling)
I'm really not sure.
The appliances at my folks house are now ~15 years old.
The fridge has had the little things replaced (swiches, lamps, fans etc.)
I think they cleaned up the burners on the stove once, not sure they did
anything to the oven (I haven't cooked in those ovens in a few years).

They sure look nice and I do like the fridge except for the ice thing.

The fridges are cool, but keep in mind that once you build out the
kitchen for them you are stuck with that expensive style.

My favorite stove/oven combo was at a piece of @#$% rental.
The appliances were older than I am as the owner was known for
collecting junk and then building a house out of it (oh the stories
about this guy).

Dual ovens over/under config (No Name that I remember) were great until
the wiring (owners wiring) burst into flames one morning.

A 6 burner electric stove that was push button controlled (GE I think).
I hate electric and thought this thing would be a joke, but I really
loved it.

I think that one big thing with the more expensive ovens is insulation.
Cheap ovens cook your house, I think that the more expensive ones keep
the heat in the oven, not the house.

My folks also have a range hood with fan that will suck up small animals
on high with variable control, real nice.  The hood has sharp corners
right at head height for me, not so nice.

I like to cook and I think I would lean towards finding a restaurant
supply house and checking out real ovens/stoves.  They can't cost more
than the expensive consumer stuff, can it?

I would have a separate stove top 6-8 burners and over/under ovens
mounted at a decent height, no bending to check on food.
One thing with commercial stoves is you need larger than standard gas
lines, IIRC.

Seperate Ice Maker.

2 refrigerators, one for raw food, one for cooked (maybe split up this way)

At least 3 sinks or 2 doubles.

Commercial overhead super hot water (180F+) wand for cleaning, used
something like this at my first job.

2 dishwashers.

Ok so I've got no Shop Talk content any more.

Matt Wehland