Re: [Shop-talk] 110vac outlet question

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>, 'Shop Talk'
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 110vac outlet question
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 20:51:21 -0800 (PST)
Those testers in a plug with three little lights do a rather primitive test
that can easily be wrong.  They only indicate the no-load voltage difference
between the different lines.  They do NOT check against a true ground, and they
do NOT tell the difference between a "real" voltage on a properly connected
line vs. a leakage (e.g. capacitively-coupled) voltage on an open line.

Somebody could hook the hot line to the ground and neutral terminal, and the
neutral line to the hot terminal, and the tester would not show a problem.

Doug