Re: [Shop-talk] xmas lights that don't suck?

To: shop-talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] xmas lights that don't suck?
From: Rich White <rlwhitetr3b@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 21:09:57 -0600
A full wave bridge rectifier will pass DC with the bonus that it will be the
correct polarity.
An led is a light emitting diode, so I think it will light for one half of the
cycle when AC is applied to it.
It have been almost twenty years since I play with that type of thing.

Ok, now one of you EE tell him the real story.Rich White St. Joseph, IL USA
'63 TR3B TCF587L That ain't a scrap pile, that is my car! See it moves!> Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2008 21:55:23 -0500> From: mark@sccaprepared.com> To:
shop-talk@autox.team.net> Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] xmas lights that don't
suck?> > Howdy,> > On Sat, 29 Nov 2008, Bill Rabel wrote:> > I have converted
completely to LED strings, as suggested by another > > response. Every joint
is soldered, so there are no fluky contacts. They > > run cool, use less
power, and seem to be more durable than the old > > incandescent strings.
Strangely, they come labeled with the same warning > > to limit plugging more
than three in series. This seems too > > conservative, as they draw far less
current than the old-style bulbs.> > So I picked up some LED lights at Target
(bonus, no annoying bell > ringers). Phillips 60 bulb multi-colored LEDs.> >
These things look identical to regular filament setups. Same style plug, >
same extra wires as part of the strand, etc. Presumably something is doing > a
conversion from AC to DC for the leds? Where is that done? There aren't > AC
LEDs are there? It can't be in the plug itself I don't think, since you > can
either plug them into the wall or into the end of the next string. The > bulbs
appear to have a polarity, so it must be in each socket? That's > pretty
crazy.> > More importantly, if you pull one of the bulbs, half the strand
dies, > which isn't really something I want.> > Are there different styles of
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html> > You are subscribed as