Re: [Shop-talk] Using gas indoors

To: "Shop Talk List" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Using gas indoors
From: "Nolan" <opposumking@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 06:47:12 -0500
I, like many millions of people, have a propane stove.  Bottle in the back
yard, run into the house for the appliances.  Stove, oven and drier are
typical units that are capable of being run just fine, safe and legal on
propane.

The appliance must be set up correctly for propane or natural gas,  The
combustion is different between the two gasses, so the orifices are
different.  If an appliance is not set up correctly for the fuel it uses, it
will produce CO, and can produce it in good quantity.

My own oven is a good example of this.  It was converted from the stock
natural gas configuration to propane, and all runs well.  With the exception
of the broiler burner.  That was not converted (for who knows what reason),
and does not burn well.  It burns so poorly that it creates extremely high
levels of CO, and the poor combustion taints the taste of the meat.  Yes, I
know, convert it myself.  For various reasons, it's easier to just not use
the broiler.

Getting a CO meter and experimenting with it while you have electricity will
give you a very good idea of how well the various appliances are burning in
your house.  This will let you put your mind at ease regarding the usage of
them for heat in a long term power outage.

Virtually no house is so air tight that it will not draft adequately for a
clean burning appliance.  The ability of the oxygen level in the house to go
down far enough to cause poor combustion is almost an impossibility.  So you
really don't need to open windows to run the appliances.

When people kill themselves inside with co it's almost always due to a poor
running unit.  Or at least a unit that's not suited for interior combustion.
This is not the case with a propane stove running correctly.