Re: [Shop-talk] outdoor RV receptacle box

To: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] outdoor RV receptacle box
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 20:42:36 -0800 (PST)
You should get one of those "subset of the National
Electrical Code relevant to homes" books, either
from the library or HD, etc.

Here is the one I have:  ISBN 087765457-3

Browse through the Lowes or HD book area for other
relevant-looking titles.

What you are planning is not particularly exotic.
Strictly speaking, you have some flexibility in the
size of the wire used to feed it.  The more
relevant breaker is the one back at the main panel
that feeds the line to the box.  The line must have a
capacity at least as large as that breaker.   You also
need to be sure your main box can supply the desired
current.

By the time you buy the conduit and wire, rent a
trencher, etc. etc., the price of that box may not be
such a big deal.  Also look at the temporary boxes
they install at building sites to supply power to the
builders.

Probably you can use heavier plastic conduit, at least
18" deep.  The books will all discuss that issue.

One other thing: The wire gauge is determined by both
the desired current capacity, and the maximum
allowable voltage drop caused by the length of the
wire.  In other words, long runs have to be done with
heavier wire than short runs.  The books will have
formulas for this.

On my previous house, I did a nice rewiring job on the
detached garage, running a new buried conduit, adding
a sub-panel, lots of outlets, etc.  I did everything
by the book, getting permits and inspections, and it
was quite a satisfying project.

Doug

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-power-cords/rv-electrical-outlets-new.htm