Re: [Shop-talk] air over hydraulic bottle jacks

To: "Steven Trovato" <strovato@optonline.net>, "Randall"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] air over hydraulic bottle jacks
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 16:24:09 -0500
Zackly how most air-powered pumps work.  Paint, oil, grease, etc. piston
pumps work that way.  The air and fluid circuits are completely divorced - a
leak in one will typically leak to the outside, not into the other side of
the pump.

The pressure is simply developed by the ratio between the air and fluid
piston sizes, and the pumps are usually rated by their pressure ratio.  For
example, a 10:1 pump will produce 1,000 PSI fluid pressure with a 100 PSI
air supply (less losses of course).

Karl