Re: [Shop-talk] Quick question on garage floors and garage lifts

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Quick question on garage floors and garage lifts
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 14:00:47 -0500
> You didn't hang out in the right places.  The UNIX system with ARPANET
> access was over in the EE building.  Some heated discussions as I recall,
> over the EE department having it instead of the Math dept.

But do you remember SUVON ?  State Universities VOice Network.  You could go
to the Union and use one of the campus phones on the second floor (second
from the aisle if I remember right) and by punching in a number or two, you
had free long-distance.  I always pictured FBI-type agents coming up and
putting the arm on me ne day while I was calling from there.

> Ah yes, the Purdue Remote Online Computing SYstem, aka PROCSY.  I spent
> many, many hours using it; that might have been better spent studying,
> sleeping, etc.

Ahhh, Purdue acronyms.  I remember PUFFT for our undergrad FORTRAN
programs - Purdue University Fast Fortran Translator.  A subset of FORTRAN
designed to compile faster on the 1401 because of the huge number of
undergrad programs being compiled and recompiled day in and day out.  ISTR
there were a few functions we couldn't use, but otherwise it was pretty much
standard FORTRAN out of the McCracken book.