Re: [Shop-talk] Oil grade selection

To: Jack Brooks <jibjib@att.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Oil grade selection
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 09:05:21 -0700
  I prefer to run synthetic on all my cars but I only do so on my newer
cars, my older cars already leak some and everything I have read about
synthetic is that it causes worse leaking.  Did you do something to your
Triumph before you put in synthetic (like new gaskets) to stop leaking
?  I like Redline oils and glad to hear (although I could not confirm it
on their website yet) that they have the needed zinc for my older motors.

I only went with synthetic on my newer cars because they can sit for
weeks at a time and I thought it would stick to the cams and other parts
better as it is supposed to leave a film of oil longer than dino oil, I
thought it would do less damage on startup if a film was still there
after a month or so of not running.

    mike

Jack Brooks wrote:
> I'm with Chip.  I do annual changes (12-15k) on all vehicles and all run
> synthetic lubes, in the manufacturers suggested viscosity.  I've done this
> since 1981 and most vehicles have gone close to, or over 200k miles with no
> engine issues.  They usually get totaled out before I can wear them out.
>
> My Triumphs are, as of the last oil change, running Delo Diesel (old
> formulation, not the new Delo lite) due to zinc concerns in these flat
> tappet engines only, but I will get them back onto synthetic soon, probably
> Redline oils, as they have all the zinc, etc., that these engines need.
>
> Jack

Mike Rambour
Bug Writer err...Programmer
       mikey@b2systems.com
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car,
then take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/
or the ULTIMATE ALMOST a Ferrari http://www.dinospider.com