Re: [Shop-talk] Junk catalytic converter: what to do?

To: Richard Beels <rbeels@yahoo.com>, Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Junk catalytic converter: what to do?
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 06:27:54 -0700 (PDT)
Actually, I decided to keep it.

I bought and installed an aftermarket (Wagner brand)
converter.  It fit reasonably well, but, like all
aftermarket parts, it was not nearly as well-made as
the original.  It also had a substantially smaller
catalyst matrix, and no heat shields like the
original.

Since the original converter worked fine and the
matrix looked fine, I'll keep it, and when the
aftermarket converter eventually fails, I'll repair
the original's rusted-out flange and re-install it.

And if the I get rid of the car while the replacement
cat is still OK, I can sell the old junk one cat then.
 I'll just consider it as part of my investment
portfolio :-)

BTW, the recycling places wil pay onthe average about
$60 for an OEM cat, but only $5 or $10 for an
aftermarket one.

Doug