[Shop-talk] Hot air furnace parasitic loss

To: "Talk, Shop" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Hot air furnace parasitic loss
From: PJ McGarvey <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 19:37:24 -0400
I'm wondering if any of the guys here have tried measuring the parasitic
energy loss of their hot air furnace, since I know some of you have those
meters you can use to measure electricity usage.

So I'm in the electrical panel this afternoon, and I noticed the furnace
breaker is on, so I turn it off since we're not running the heat just yet.
When I turn it off, I hear a buzzing sound stop, which is obviously the heater
which is 3 feet to my right.  Turn it back on, buzzing continues, back off,
buzzing stops.

Now I'm not assuming that the heater of all things uses any power when "off"
like the way other electronic devices do, but is there even some microscopic
amount being used?  If so, add that up over the summer season, and it could be
worth making sure these things are off...

FYI, I usually leave the breaker off until it's heating season, but I think
that the technician had left it on when he serviced it about a month ago.

Thanks,
PJ