[Shop-talk] Dangerous tool gloat

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Dangerous tool gloat
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 19:39:44 -0700
I just picked up what could possibly be my most dangerous tool- a
Hitachi NR83A2 framing nailer.  It's awesome.

I have a small framing job coming up (framing in a 12 x 12 foot rolling
door opening on my pole building shop and installing a pair of 2'6"
doors in the new wall to replace the rolling door) and wasn't looking
forward to swinging a framing hammer any more.

I did a little research on the web and went through a couple of pawn
shops and found that apparently the Hitachi NR83A is kind of the default
framing nailer for most of the framing carpenters around here.
Everything I read and heard gave me the impression that they are pretty
bulletproof.  One pawn shop had about seven of them in varying
conditions, so I picked out the one that seemed to be in the best shape
and paid $137 (plus tax) for it.  I stopped at the orange Borg and
bought a box each of Senco 16d and 8d nails for it, took it out to the
shop and tried it out.  It works great.  I have a few brad nailers from
23 to 16 gauge, but I've never used a framing nailer.  This thing is an
animal.  Fortunately it's the newer A2 model so I can switch the trigger
from bump firing to sequential firing.  I tried it both ways, and bump
firing gave me a lot of double nails.  I can see where bump firing would
be great for installing subflooring or sheathing, but for framing
(especially toe nailing) I'm going to stick to sequential firing.

So, anyone got any good framing nailer stories or tips?

I'm almost looking forward to the framing job.  I wish I had it a few
years ago when I built the 24' x 48' tractor shed on the back of the shop.

Dave C