Re: [Shop-talk] aluminum house wiring

To: Eric J Russell <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] aluminum house wiring
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 21:55:02 -0700
My folks bought a house in '70 that was wired with aluminum.  Most of
the houses in the subdivision were, and there were a lot of house fires,
mostly in the attics, as I recall.  They were 1 1/2 story homes with
shake roofs in Houston; I suspect he attics got pretty hot.  I believe
my dad eventually replaced most of the outlets and switches, and I
remember seeing some of them that were pretty scorched.  I believe one
fix was to wire-nut copper pigtails to the aluminum wires using a paste
anti-oxide compound on the joint under the wire nut, then wiring the new
outlets to the copper wire as normal.  As someone also mentioned, the
NEC would be a good place to look; I suspect there is a section on
retrofitting aluminum wiring, but I haven't looked lately.

Dave C