Re: [Shop-talk] Antennae

To: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Antennae
From: Trevor Boicey <trevor@boicey.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 12:35:25 -0400
David Hillman wrote:
>     I have an FM radio in my garage, with a simple wire antenna.  I used to
> get fine reception, until I insulated the ceiling with those
> styrofoam-like boards with one side of metallic film.  Since I put those
> up, I can barely get one station.
>
>     I do have an old TV antenna on the roof, however, that I never use (
> satellite ) and never plan to use again.  Can I use this to improve my FM
> reception?  Is it as easy as extending the current wire antenna up to the
> roof antenna?

   Most likely, yes. Certainly worth a try.

   VHF television stations 2-6 are beneath the FM band slightly, and
7-13 are quite a bit above the FM band.

   Most simple antenna designs use a single section tuned from 2-13,
with a UHF option.

   Some larger antenna designs use separate sections for 2-6 and 7-13.

   Whatever you have, it probably picks up FM well enough to get a
signal, and with the way FM is modulated, once you get an acceptable
signal the audio quality approaches maximum fairly quickly.