Re: [Shop-talk] Heat Pumps?

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Heat Pumps?
From: Brian C Kennedy <kennedybc@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:07:06 -0400
David, we have a house in Portland, OR and have just installed a heat pump
to replace an ancient oil furnace (hot water). I mostly followed the advice
of my heating/cooling guy here in MI. He likes and uses Trane. I've had very
good performance and reliability with the hardware he's installed over the
last 10 years or so, furnaces, hot water heaters, A/C. So, I went with Trane
in Portland. Lowest to highest SEER was ~13 to 16K$. They also have a 1.2K
rebate at the moment. The higher cost unit, SEER 19, if memory serves, have
better lifetime and I'm told are a lot quieter. So, in the long run, the
higher cost unit made sense to me since the longer lifetime made the cost a
wash.

Problems:
Sounds like you have forced air? I didn't and I didn't realize that the
quote did not include repairs after drywall and ceiling tiles were  removed
to install the heat ducts. Our basement tenant is very angry about the
amount of dust and dirt and thinks they didn't drop cloth her furniture and
so forth. I probably should have checked references harder than I did.

Brian in MI