Re: [Shop-talk] Gas tank glop

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Gas tank glop
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 11:04:04 -0500
Karl Vacek wrote:

> My only question is what solvent will be most effective.  In
> the absence of any better ideas, I'll start with lacquer
> thinner, but before I start pouring expensive solvents into
> it, anyone seen this glop and know of something that
> works better ??

Basically, the glop is varnish - it's what's left after the rest of the
gasoline evaporates/settles out of the gasoline.

When I did my Elan many years ago, I had the same problem.  If I
remember correctly, I used some paint thinner that I had, and mixed in
some carb cleaner (the kind that comes in a can that you dip the parts
into).  It worked just fine on my tank...

Tim Mullen

Chantilly, VA