Re: [Shop-talk] Chemical rust remover?

To: cornerexit <cornerexit@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Chemical rust remover?
From: "Elton E. (Tony) Clark" <eltonclark@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 18:21:52 -0500
*I bought at our local Home Depot:*
*a Klean Strip product:*
*"Phosphoric Prep & Etch" which is sold for rust removal and concrete
etching.  $13.00 a gallon.*
*If I remove the surface rust mechanically, it has been a permanent rust
stabilizing prep before priming and painting.  That is including pits and
small craters.  Someone clever explained that the acid converts oxides to
phosphates which are stable and over the years, it's worked well for me.*