Re: [Shop-talk] Cheap vs. name tools (was: Levels)

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cheap vs. name tools (was: Levels)
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:26:46 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008, Mark Andy wrote:
> How in the heck can that be possible?

    :dunno:  Meanwhile John Deere and Caterpiller are cranking out tractors
and engines here, and shipping them everywhere else.

> Anyway, I do wonder if the recent fuel increases are going to make "cheap
> chinese tools" a little less cheap.  Of course, that'll also probably
> raise the cost of all but the really high end tools, since it seems like
> everything except the cadilac tools are made in China anyway (which is an
> assumption, and I'd love to know if I was wrong about it).

    I was shocked to find Made-in-the-USA razor knife blades at Home Depot
a couple weeks ago.  And not just one brand, but two.  Of all the things
they make overseas, I'd have thought simple blades were extinct here.

--
  David Hillman