Re: [Shop-talk] Flooding Stalled Car

To: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Flooding Stalled Car
From: scott.hall@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 01:18:50 +0000
'04 seems new for something like wet electronics.  there's no points or
distributor, but maybe something else got wet?

I'd do what was suggested and check the intake for water, pull the plugs and do
a compression test.  if you do get it running, change the oil asap.

the main road in front of our street is a local low point and gustav flooded it
to about 6-8 inches.  if you drive through even that depth fast enough water
can splash off the tires and up the inside of the engine compartment into the
intake.  and the idiots would burn through it like they were pulling a skier.
the funny noises the engines made right before dying was amusing (probably more
to me than them).

I got my jetta through it okay, but always, always, ALWAYS drive through
standing water very, very slowly, (think 'no wake') and that's if you
absolutely, positively have to drive through it.

From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>