Re: [Shop-talk] Levels

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Levels
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 17:48:35 -0700
At 04:41 PM 9/11/2008 -0600, Brian Warrick wrote:
>I need to build some shelves in my garage to store stuff.  You know how
>it is, never enough storage!!!  Anyway, I am not much of a carpenter so
>I do not have a level.  I am looking for one in the 5-6' long range.
>What do I look for in a level?  What type of construction/material?
>Brand?  Am I over thinking the problem, just go get one and get started
>already?  Also, any source for plans?  I am looking to build some
>substantial shelves to support upwards of 50-75 lb/ft.

I bought about 20' of clear tubing years ago and it really is
much better than a level in many cases.  Buy a large enough
diameter and you can drive a nail in each end so you can
hang it on the wall.  A water level will also go around corners.

Another option to a standard level is a SmartLevel.  Just found
mine tucked away in another cluttered part of the house.  Needs
a 9V battery but provides a LCD readout various additional
features beyond the standard level.  I'm going to use mine to
monitor a concrete wall that's being shoved by a large tree.

Steve