Re: [Shop-talk] polybutylene piping

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] polybutylene piping
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 06:53:47 -0700
> Wouldn't most RVs have zero water pressure most of the time,
> and fairly low pressure when they are actually being used?

It depends.  Lots of people like to go for "full hookups" while camping,
meaning the RV's water system is linked to a land-based system.  And some of
the parks I've been in had way higher pressure than my home does.  Of
course, some RVs have pressure regulators at the inlet, but mine didn't.

The pump in my motorhome did shut off at 40-50 psi, which is somewhat lower
than my home, but it would hold pressure for a long time even if I did
remember to switch off power to the pump when we got home.  Not unusual to
find pressure still in the system the next time we got ready to go camping.

> I would think that in a RV you could get away with plumbing
> techniques (e.g. hose clamps) that would not be wise in a house.

Sure.  Still, an RV is an expensive toy, and I know I'd feel really stupid
if I had a water pipe break because I used the wrong connectors.

Randall