Re: [Shop-talk] pipe threader

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] pipe threader
From: <bottorff25@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 12:52:48 -0500 (CDT)
The nice thing about having your own pipe thread cutter is that you don't have
to know ahead of time what all of the lengths of pipe need to be. You can cut
and thread each pipe as you go for a "custom" fit. Or to allow for the times
you read the tape measure wrong ;)

On my project I cut threads on about 12 pipes. As long as I kept the pipe
coated in oil the threads cut cleanly for me. If you didn't keep the die oiled
you got miserable cuts. Hopefully your bench vise has a pipe vise built into
the jaws. That's a must in order to hold the pipe firmly while cutting the
threads.