Re: [Shop-talk] I need help with staining new windows

To: Eric J Russell <ejrussell@mebtel.net>, John Mitchell
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] I need help with staining new windows
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 17:03:00 -0700 (PDT)
About sanding sealer:  Sanding sealer is traditionally
some sort of lacquer-like paint that has a lot of
filler in it (e.g. talc).  It's meant for filling wood
grain before painting.

Recently I bought some Minwax "sanding sealer", and it
was a totally different product.  It seemed very
similar to polyurethane varnish, and did not seem to
have much filler in it.  I think it was meant for use
under polyurethane varnish, and it did not work well
for my project, which I was painting.

So if you buy sanding sealer, read the label carefully
and make sure it is the correct type for your
application.

Doug