Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical fire waiting to happen

To: <cyberemp@comcast.net>, "MG LIST" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical fire waiting to happen
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 10:59:56 -0700
>  The house I am moving into in August has a 40amp panel  (yes
> 40, I had
> never seen one either)

My previous house had a 40 amp main panel; probably put there when the house
was built in the 20's.

Someone had added a subpanel, but tapped in *before* the main fuses; then
got the wires crossed between panels, with the result that it had a fuse in
the neutral.  We managed to blow that fuse once; with the result that the
light in the utility room got *real* bright <g>

Pulled the main fuses (no disconnect) to work on the subpanel; but it was
still hot ...

Randall