Re: [Shop-talk] jack bleeding

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] jack bleeding
From: "Nolan" <opposumking@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 06:04:39 -0400
> I like the fast rise, but when there's some weight on the thing it seems
> like most of my stroke is going into make the jack make some noise, then
> the last little bit it raises the car a touch.

Sounds to me like you're either low on fluid or your seals are shot.

When the jack handle is moving down the piston is moving down, and the jack
should be raising for the entire stroke, not just the end of the stroke.  If
the jack starts to "run out of breath" as it goes up, that's fairly
indicative of being low on fluid.  If it does this regardless of height,
it's more likely a seal problem.