Re: [Shop-talk] resistance (tong type) spot welders

To: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] resistance (tong type) spot welders
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 16:32:55 -0700
   Doug,

 For me yes TIG is easier but it is easier for several reasons.  First,
I learned to weld with oxy/acet torch and TIG is similar so I am used to
it.  I went to MIG and failed miserably on sheet metal, could weld all
day long on thick stuff but sheet metal kept blowing through.

 Second and the real reason why for me TIG is easier is that last year I
went to Cleveland and took the Lincoln Motorsports class (
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/focus/motorsports/school/school.asp ) and
really learned how to TIG there.  The Basic class is a little bit of
everything but the instructors will let you skip days like for me, I did
my requisite hour or 2 on MIG day and spent the rest of the day with
TIG, days 3 and 4 I spent with the TIG and alloys, I only did the MIG
when I needed to because the instructor required me to ( about 2 hours
on day 2, and 1 hour on each day after that).  So with all that time,
yes TIG is way easier for me.

 Why did I spend the time on TIG ? I now know that I went there with a
"bad attitude" towards MIG and did not want to learn  it, I had such bad
experiences with MIG and sheet metal in the past that I just did not
want to, I made a mistake, nothing wrong with MIG I know that now.  But
I am super happy with my TIG and that class was AWESOME !  Best use of
frequent flyer miles I have ever used, I have very often considered
going back for the advanced class.

 So which is better ? I don't know, I guess it depends on what you are
doing and your budget, MIG sure is cheaper.  For me its TIG all the way,
the only reason I still have the MIG is for speed when doing thick stuff
like work I did on a friends trailer recently, TIG would have done it
but MIG was fast, besides I hate selling tools :)

    mike